Begin by reading the earliest quotation (i.e., way of seeing). Notice how your perception morphs as you read each successive quotation.

Monday, April 22, 2013

"When I was a young student naturalist in Corfu, I did not have access to naturalist shops and it was before the days of mail-order catalogs [...].  Even if this had not been the case, my meager pocket money would not have allowed me to buy specially made butterfly nets and cans for collecting insects.  My nets were homemade out of cheap cheesecloth sewed by myself or by my mother or sister [...], and my killing bottle was and old candy jar with a cotton ball soaked in ether purchased from the druggist.  Not one bottle or can in our house was thrown out, they all made containers of one sort or another for my collection.  Matchboxes were invaluable and any solid container of wood or cardboard was a godsend  When my containers were full of specimens I unhesitatingly used all my pockets, my handkerchief, my shirt [...]."—Thank you, Gerald Durrell, for A Practical Guide for the Amateur Naturalist, Alfred A. Knopf, 1983, p.19.  Thank you, Jill Goff, for access to the library from which this book was borrowed.

No comments: